Since the world has woken up to the possibilities of distance education, it becomes vital to make informed choices. While the age of an institute is not the sole factor validating its standing, however, it does add a feather to its credibility. The University of Mumbai is one of the oldest distance learning schools in India. Established in the year 1971-72, it is DEB (Distance Education Bureau) recognized. The university has five campuses in Fort, Kalina, Ratnagiri, Thane and Kalyan.
To facilitate distance learning the university provides curriculum-based Audio-Video cassettes. It also has an audio-video centre located at Vidyanagari for listening and viewing of educational content. Along with this, the university has one independent library with over 36 thousand books. The library has two reading rooms and allows students to borrow books and well. As an initiative under its Personal Contact Programme(PCP), the university conducts guidance lectures every year in about 60 centres in Mumbai and around.
(History, Political Science,
Sociology, Economics, Psychology, Commerce, Education, English, Marathi, Hindi, Urdu)
|10+2 or equivalent/3-year diploma from a recognized board||3 yrs|
|M.A. .(History, Political Science, Sociology, Economics, English, Marathi, Hindi,Urdu)||Graduation from any recognized University/Institute||2 yrs|
|B.Com / BMS from any recognized University/Institute|
|B.A./ B.Sc with minimum 2 papers in Mathematics of University of Mumbai or at least 3 papers in Mathematics from any other University.|
( Diploma in Financial
Diploma in Operational
|Graduation in any discipline with 2 years of work experience / a recognized professional qualification with at least five years of professional experience. Defence persons who are not degree holders can also apply.|
Following welfare and scholarship programme taken by the university to facilitate education for all:
- A provision of Rs. 10,00,000.00 (Rupees Ten Lakhs) has been set aside to provide education to students belonging from backward class families.
- A provision of Rs. 1,00,00,000.00 (Rupees One Crore) as corpus fund has been allocated to facilitate education to students belonging from economically backward families.
- The university runs a Book Bank Scheme for providing books to the needy students. Every year the student welfare sends a list of books on behalf of the backward class students. And depending on their case and pertinent requirement, the budget gets allocated.
- The university has a a group Insurance Scheme known as YUVA RAKSHA. The scheme provides accident policy coverage including accidental death, permanent disability or hospitalization expenses arising out of accidents.
- Additional scholarships are also provided based on the student’s merit.
University of Mumbai Placements:
In recent years, the students of Ratnagiri branch have been approached by organizations seeking their nominations for potential candidates. More so, 60% of the students Ratnagiri Sub-Centre (from both the Departments, i.e., Chemistry and Environmental Sciences) secured jobs (or associateship for pursuing further education) based on their merits. Gharda Chemicals Pvt. Ltd, Finolex Industries Pvt. Ltd, Auchtel India Pvt. Ltd, University Department of Life Sciences, National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) have been some of the noted recruiters.
Hence, University of Mumbai is one rare institution providing opportunities superior than regular institutions. And with all this, there stands no dilemma for students with regards to their educational choices.
Looking for other universities? Check out Bharathidasan University here
Check your Mumbai University results here