Are you a student who wants to work but simultaneously wants to upgrade his educational qualifications too? Are you a housewife who has no time for conventional mediums of education? Or are you an aspirant wanting to study but having no access to regular educational institutions? For all these problems distance learning is your answer.
Once somewhat inconvenient, distance learning today stands at par which conventional education systems. Back in days when study material used to be sent through post, people were generally averse to the idea of distance education. But after the internet revolution, this perception has changed. Now with online classrooms and study materials, distance learning has become rather convenient.
Established distance learning institutes in order of their rankings:
- IGNOU: The Indira Gandhi National Open University is a UGC recognized central University with head office in Delhi. It has undisputedly been the best distance learning university for decades now. The university offers 227 academic programmes with its 21 schools, 67 regional centres, 2667 study centres and 29 overseas centres.
- Yashwant Rao Chavan Open University: The university is UGC recognized with its head office in Nasik, Maharashtra. It is a member of Asian associations of open university (AAOU). With over 10 study centres in Maharashtra, it offers graduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate courses. Apart from this, the university has over 9 regional centres in Nasik, Amravati, Nagpur, Nanded, Aurangabad, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Pune, Goa.
- IMT Ghaziabad: The Institute of management technology is UGC recognized with its head office in Ghaziabad, UP. The courses offered at IMT-CDL are all postgraduate diploma courses belonging to technical management domains. The university doesn’t have any regional centre.
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University: The Bhoj university of Madhya Pradesh is a public university with its head office in Bhopal. The University provides distance learning through undergraduate, postgraduate and master programs. The university has 10 regional centres and various study centres all over the country.
- Sikkim Manipal University: The university has its head office in Sikkim Gangtok. It is a UGC recognized private university offering undergraduate and postgraduate programs. After 2002 orders of UGC, the university had closed all its study centres outside Sikkim.
- SCDL Pune: Symbiosis centre of distance learning has its head office in Pune, Maharashtra. It one of the largest autonomous institutes. The university is UGC and DEB recognized and provides postgraduate diploma certificate programs with courses for almost every sector.
- University of Mumbai: Situated in Maharashtra, the university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, Diploma, masters and certificate programmes. The Mumbai University (MU), with its three campuses has a virtual classroom at its Kalina campus. The university became the first public university in the country to introduce virtual classroom facility. The other two campuses are at Thane and Fort Mumbai.
- Netaji Subhas Open University: The university is UGC and DEB recognized and has its head office in Kolkata, West Bengal. It offers graduate, undergraduate and postgraduate courses. With its 100 regional centres, the university provides the best of distance learning facilities to its students.
- Dr B R Ambedkar Open University: The university is UGC recognized with its head office in Telangana. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate courses. It has over 200 study centres.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University: With its headquarters in Ahmedabad, it provides various certification, diploma, degree and PhD programmes. The university has its regional centres in Rajkot and Bhuj. Also, the university has over 500 study centres.
If you are wondering if Distance Education is par with regular degrees, read our latest blog on Distance Degree are equivalent to regular degreee