Currently ranked among the largest open universities in the world, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) was established in 1985 and currently offers 227 academic programmes through 67 Regional Centres spread across the country. For July session, the online registration for most of the courses usually commences in the month of May every year and ends in the last week of June. However, for some specific courses, the last date of admission may vary. Indira Gandhi Open University is an open university providing distance education to those who want to increase their knowledge but do not have the time or facilities to do so.
It is an initiative to promote education and through distance mode an array of unique courses have come to light which otherwise would have witnessed various obstacles.
It is means for a student, employee or working citizen to gain knowledge and certification from the Government without attending regular classes, thus they are saved from the hassle of attendance and tests. It is means by which people improve their qualifications and resume.
IGNOU Admission Process & Dates:
IGNOU Admission is a fairly easy procedure and is conducted online. Here the IGNOU Admission dates for top categories of the program:
- Management Programmes admission announcements are issued twice a year March/April and September/October. Entrance Tests are held twice a year on the first Sunday of February and on the first Sunday of August.
- For BA (Bachelor of Arts), B Com(Bachelor of Commerce), B.Sc(Bachelor of Science), BCA (Bachelor of Computer Applications), BTS(Bachelor of Tourism Studies), MA(English), MA(Hindi) admission announcements are issued in May/June session for July session
- Admission to Bachelor of Education(B Ed) programme is available through a national entrance test, which is conducted on the first Sunday of August. Advertisement inviting applications for the entrance test is usually issued in April/May
- For Bachelor’s Preparatory Programme and all Certificate Programmes (Except Certificate in Rural Surgery(CRS) and Certificate in Teaching of Primary School Mathematics(CTPM) there is walk-in-admissions throughout the year. Application forms submitted between 01 June and 30 November will be considered for January session while applications received between 01 December and 31 May will be considered for July session.
- For Doctoral programmes, application forms submitted between 01 April and 30 September are considered for January session while applications received between 01 October and 31 March are considered for July session
- For all other programmes admission announcements are issued in May/June and the last date for submission of filled-in application forms is 15 September. The academic session starts from 01 January.
Instruction to fill IGNOU Admission Application Form Online
If you are a first time applicant you are advised to click the available programme tab on the homepage of the Online Admission System and select the desired programme. You are expected to carefully read the details of programme including eligibility criteria, fee details, duration, etc. You are also requested to download the Common Prospectus 2017-2018 and carefully read the rules of the University before IGNOU Admission.
- Click on the button “REGISTER YOURSELF” that appears in the applicant login area and fill the required registration details.
- Remember, while choosing your UserName it must be in between 8 to 16 characters.
- While choosing your password it must be alphanumeric and between 8 to 16 characters long.
- After filling the mandatory information click the “SUBMIT” button.
- Your username will be instantly sent to you via e-mail and SMS.
- Remember your Username and Password for subsequent login.
- If you have already registered i.e you are an existing user click the “LOGIN” button.
- Before proceeding for filling the form online the applicant must have the following:-
- Scanned Photograph (less than 100 KB)
- Scanned Signature (less than 100 KB)
- Scanned copy of Age Proof
- Scanned copy of relevant Educational Qualification (less than 400 KB)
- Scanned Copy of Experience Certificate (if any) (less than 400 KB)
- Scanned Copy of Category Certificate, if SC/ST/OBC (less than 400 KB)
- Scanned Copy of BPL Certificate, if Below Poverty Line(less than 400 KB)
Fee can be paid by following methods:
- Credit Card(Master/Visa)
- Net Banking
- Debit Card (Master/Visa/Rupay)
- ATM Card (PNB)
It is suggested to scan documents from your originals. Once you have uploaded the document, click the next button you will get the Form preview option. Save/Print your form for future reference.
For further information you can check the main website of IGNOU
Checkout top concepts taught in IGNOU BEd here